Monday, March 7, 2011

The Alexander Technique in Delhi

It's beautiful weather in Delhi now; a little chill in the air, but blue skies and warm sunshine, and it's still possible to walk to places you want to get to.
I'm working in a studio in an old building on the fourth floor; it's in Shahpurjat, in South Delhi. The rest of South Delhi, except maybe Hauz Khas nearby, seems to be wide roads and greenery, but Shahpurjat is a tangle of narrow twisting lanes with houses overhanging them - or so it seems as I make my way through these lanes morning and night - on my way in to work, and on the way home. Invariably there are occasions when I have to stop for cars winding through these crooked streets in apparent defiance of all the odds of meeting another vehicle coming head on. Sometimes there is indeed another one coming head on, and then I can seize the chance to make some quick progress while the two vehicles negotiate ways of inching past each other - starting with the tricky question of who is to back up first! Since they effectively block the road for anything else, I'm assured of some easy walking for a bit - that is, as easy as a choppy and uneven surface can get.
But I'm enjoying working here on the fourth floor - the studio is large and airy, there is a little kitchenette so I can bring a packed lunch and warm it up when I'm ready to eat. The shady-sunny terrace allows me to sun myself between lessons and gives a slow leisurely quality to the days, so I'm not really worrying about what the follow up to this week of lessons here in Delhi should be. It seems as it everything will work itself out as it should.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looking for a therapist in Kalkaji