Friday, February 10, 2012

The Space Between the Spaces




One of the most common assumptions that people who come for lessons make is that the Alexander Technique is meant to be practised in peace and quiet.
If only we were so lucky as to have peace and quiet to practise the Alexander Technique, or anything else we put our minds to!
The sad truth is that for a lot of us, life is a series of actions - of duty, pleasure, social obligation, leisure, professional obligation ... the list could go on for ever.
We step into our day in the morning, and are instantly sucked into this round of work and leisure.

The proportions of each could vary for different people, but the elements remain the same. Even the leisure isn't leisurely - it's scheduled, and limited to a certain time and duration in the day.
When we want to get that sense of large and leisurely expanses of time, we go away on holiday to get it. If we're lucky.
So people come for lessons and go away thinking that the skills that they have learnt in the lesson are something to be used when they have an idle moment.
Since most of them don't have many idle moments, they end up not thinking about what they've learnt until the time comes round for the next lesson.
So it's a good idea to start our Alexander practice with the thought that this is going to become an integral part of life - personal, social and professional. We don't need to immediately start applying it to everything we do, all the time, but we have to have the intention.
That is important because that's what's going to set the tone of Alexander work in our lives.

We keep the intention of using Alexander skills during meetings, or performances, or presentations; we don't divide our day into

'Times I can use Alexander'
(when I'm sitting quietly/drinking a cup of tea/reading the newspaper/doing nothing in particular)

and

'Times When I Simply Can't Think About It, Ever'.
(when I'm about to leave for work/when I'm running for the bus/when I'm in a meeting/when I'm talking to my boss/doing the important things in my life)


We can start by using the relatively quieter moments of the day to think about release. When we're waiting for the bus, for instance. Or browsing in a shop. Waiting in line for tickets. TheAlexander Moments .
These are the little pockets of quiet that we miss out on, because we're so caught up in the general busy-ness all around us.

But well used, they could help us when we have to go in to face an angry boss, or tackle a difficult presentation, or finish a hundred different things before running to catch the bus to work.

4 comments:

Imogen Ragone said...

Couldn't agree more! Although it is easier to apply the Alexander Technique when it's quiet and peaceful, the whole point, for me, is that I can use it in those highly stressful situations. And the more you practice in the quieter moments, the more you find it available in the more stressful ones.

Padmini said...

Thanks for your comment, Imogen!
Yes, I've begun to suggest this to my pupils as early as possible, otherwise they sort of file it in their minds as 'To be done when I'm not doing anything else'.
In the long run, this state of mind isn't really helpful!

Jennifer Roig-Francolí said...

Very nice post, Padmini. I enjoy your blog, as I'm sure you enjoy writing it!

Padmini said...

Thanks Jennifer! Yes, I enjoy writing it - it makes me stay alert to those little ideas that quietly sneak into my head, and would sneak out again if I didn't grab them and put them into my blog!