Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Teaching, Not Therapy

I must admit I wasn't prepared for the complete and overwhelming sense of panic that seized me when I actually saw my words out there in the ether for all to see. I had to dive for cover and try to free my neck. Which I hope I have done.
But in the interval between then and now, I've been talking to various people about the Technique, and the thing I've had to keep saying is that it isn't a medical treatment, it's a skill, it's taught, not administered, and your success with it depends completely on how you apply it in your life. Sometimes I feel like I'm making a big deal out of what could be regarded as a minor difference, when I keep interrupting someone and saying, 'Lesson, not treatment', and 'pupil, not patient'.
But then again, I don't think so. Your attitudes and expectations are very different when you go for a lesson from when you go for, say, a therapy session. You expect to learn in a lesson, and what is more important, you expect to practise. To go away and apply what you've learned in the lesson.So it's really important that if you want to take Alexander lessons, you should be clear that the process that you start is not going to stop at the end of the 15 lessons or whatever. In fact, the end of your course is the beginning of your real education, when you start using what you've learnt in the lessons, and using it in a way that is unique to you.
It's your story.
You are the hero/ine, and you are (in a non endgaining way, of course), in control.

No comments: