Wednesday, September 14, 2011

This is an experiential video of the Alexander Technique - there's a mosaic of voices speaking about the way they experience it, and what it's done for them. There's a musician, a politician, a computer professional, a retired person... a range of people who found that the the technique gave them a new freedom and ease.




What struck me was what one of them said - that he wasn't really used to going to a lesson to learn something, and then doing nothing much more than sitting and lying down.
It's a deceptive emptiness, of course, because what you learn in the sitting, standing and lying down can transform your life.
I always feel that what really attracted me to the Technique was this idea of the right thing doing itself - which seemed to imply, for me, that I didn't have to do very much.
Being incorrigibly lazy, that, of course, was one of the most delightful possibilities I could think of!

No comments: